No Way Home features a selection of 25 paintings, watercolors, drawings and prints drawn from the recently acquired collection of work by Cuban American artist Emilio Sanchez (1921-1999). Best known for his brightly colored, strongly shadowed images of Caribbean and New York City architecture, this exhibition at Syracuse University Art Galleries reveals the artist's ongoing interest in repetitive patterns.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"Cabana"


I can still remember the first time that I saw the ocean. It was the summer of 2007 and I was 21 years old. The anticipation...eagerly awaiting my first glimpse of water.  As we turned the car onto Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach, Virginia, there it was!  It was beautiful -- bright, hot sun and cool, blue waves.  The Sanchez work reminds me of the anticipation that I felt, waiting to get out onto the sand myself.

I can just picture myself walking out from under the awning of the cabana, which is the focus of most of the work, and down the stairs onto the hot sand.  Peace, tranquility, and calm colors fill this Sanchez work.

What do you think?  Does this image remind you of a particular time or place?  Write us a comment with your story!

Visit the Syracuse University Art Galleries to view this and other works by Emilio Sanchez, on display now through March 18, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment